The domaine's reputation is founded on the commune of Marsannay
The Domaine was founded in 1894 by Maurice's grandfather, Ferdinand Charleux. Charleux started out with only 60 ares of vines. Upon his death in 1924, the property covered about 2 hectares (ha). His son, Joseph Charleux, took over the farm and then Maurice managed the domaine from 1970. In 1999, his son Vincent joined the family business. Today, the domaine covers a little over 12 ha.